Monday 12 September 2016

Day 3 - 256 -- Half Century of memories

Fifty years ago tonight, a family gathered around a television to see a new show. As a kid I watched that week and every week afterwards -- along with the family. The show was about four young men who were hired to play a band, yet somewhere along the line they became a band, but then they could play their own instruments before they were hired and learned to play more and write songs. The Monkees were a big part of my childhood. As an adult, I joined a newsgroup in the old early internet days. There I met many people with similar experiences as children of my generation and the one after that. To this day, I communicate with many of these people daily and have met a large number of them in person. Not only did this musical group give me some great childhood memories, but they've enriched my adult life with this wonderful group of people.

Many people mocked the group when I was a kid. As an adult, I've gotten odd looks when I've noted that for 20 years I've been in daily contact with a group of wonderful folks. Luckily, some may think I'm silly, but that doesn't affect my love for the group or the fans I know. I've been to a few reunion concerts and have seen all four group members in concert, though only three at a time. I enjoy the individual careers each pursued after the group disbanded in the '60s. So, from a campy sitcom came wonderful memories with more to come.

Choosing a song for today was not easy. But, I decided to choose a newer song written by Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie. Enjoy!

Me and Magdalena -- The Monkees


No comments:

Post a Comment