Saturday 12 September 2015

Day 2 - 254 -- Neighbouhood Wild Life

It has been a basic Saturday, though I've been a bit more tired than usual. I was up late last evening due to the noise outside. Being the first week of classes, there seemed reason to celebrate in the streets. I had thought most of the noise was from the new tenants in the next door property -- they generally aren't as loud as it was last night, but it truly sounded very close.  I did go out the front door to walk around just to check where the noise was coming from and I just sat on my front step and watched the show. The large outdoor party was actually across the street and up a ways. As I sat there, the music stopped and small groups of revelers ran down the street. They were easy to track as they turned the corner at the bottom of the street, went over to Main Street, turned and then went down to the next corner and stopped at another event on another street. They had in effect run around the block. There were RCMP vehicles slowly driving down the street, likely to avoid running over those who seemed oblivious to being on foot in the midst of traffic.

I sometimes feel so sad that inebriation seems like the best way to celebrate or deal with stress. I'm not saying that I've never been in that state, but that is seems so regular with younger adults. It isn't just our school that deals with this behaviour, nor is it just seen with younger adults. Disturbing entire neighbourhoods on a regular basis though,  seems to show no regard for others as well as a large sense of entitlement. It may also show that hearing loss has already begun given the need to play music at increased decibel levels only. Much of this thought makes me feel like a crotchety old person, when I've felt this way since being an undergraduate living in residence. <smile>  And I know full well that not all students are involved in this behaviour, but those that do give the group a bad reputation.

Last night brought to mind a song from a movie released in the 70s. The attitude present in the crowd and the band seemed similar to those on the block yesterday.  It is a different style than generally heard from this singer. Enjoy!

Hellacious Acres -- Kris Kristofferson



No comments:

Post a Comment