Saturday 19 September 2015

Day 2 - 261 -- Remembering through Things

Past memories seemed central to my thoughts today. I picked up a ring from the jeweller where it had been repaired. The bend in the band from forgetting to remove all rings before shovelling snow and ice once last winter has been fixed with no evidence of the damage. There were several claws that needed retipping -- a useful way to ensure that stones remain in their settings. <smile>  While at the store, I dropped off a watch that will need to have the works replaced with a quartz movement. This makes me sad since I love winding clocks and watches and feel a sense of comfort from the tick-tock sounds these make. Parts are very difficult to find now, so moving to battery operation seems the only way to go or buy something entirely new. I dislike the concept of the battery needed for the watch since that is more hazardous waste to put into the world, even if it is a tiny little battery.

Each of these repairs comes with a significant price tag. So, why did I choose to do this? I have worn the ring every day for the past 29 years. It was a graduation gift from my parents -- one of the many graduations <smile>. The watch belonged to my grandmother. It has a small case that fits my 'freakishly small' (those are the words of a friend there <smile>) wrists. The current trend to watches that approach the size of Flavor Flav's medallions simply don't fit my wrist, nor do common bands fit without some surgery to reduce their circumference. So -- this one is very pretty, it fits, and best of all it was Grandma's.  Each of these items holds major memories of family and life. For those reasons repairing these treasures seemed the logical approach. 

Reflecting on my memories brought several songs to mind, but only one seemed to fit. The lyrics and melody are beautiful. I've chosen a cover of the original Nilsson song, sung by a wonderful tenor voice. Enjoy! 

Remember -- Micky Dolenz


No comments:

Post a Comment