Wednesday 23 September 2015

Day 2 - 265 -- An Auspicious Start to the Day

What a glorious first day of autumn!  The sun shone most of the day -- healthy, strong rays full of warmth that were hot by late afternoon.  I walked everywhere today since I had an eye appointment in the afternoon -- they dilate my pupils for all appointments -- so I was able to take advantage of the glorious day rather than being tied to my desk. <smile>  Interestingly, without fail, my annual eye appointment occurs on a bright sunny day, making the trek home challenging with pupils that strike fear in the hearts of children -- looking positively alien. <grin>

As I walked into campus this morning, I heard the faint sound of bagpipes. The sound was clearly coming from campus. It wasn't until I was actually on campus and down the road a bit when I caught sight of the lone piper. He was practising, it appeared, as he was walking with military precision turns. As I got closer, he was wearing a glengarry (headgear) and had some clear grey visible from under the bonnet. At the first sound, I'd begun to smile. I love bagpipes and enjoy the tradition of piping people into major ceremonies and events on campus. So, this morning, I was unofficially piped onto campus.

Today, there was no big event that I'm aware of, just a lone piper marching through campus and not playing a dirge <smile>. I didn't recognize the tune being played, but then I've only learned to recognize a few of the more common songs -- this one was new to me. Hunting through the 'interwebs' I came across something similar so that will be shared here today. It is played by a regimental band -- props for playing through the cold. For those not fond of the pipes, this is very short so shouldn't offend for long <giggle>. Instead enjoy the beautiful scenery of Banff.  Enjoy!

Mhairie's Wedding (Mhairie's Bhan) & The Barren Rocks of Aden -- 78th Highlanders


No comments:

Post a Comment