Saturday 26 September 2015

Day 2 - 267 - Misunderstood Pain

Today really felt like Fall -- that crisp cool air with weaker sunshine. I'm not sure if it is weather or allergies, but I've had a mounting headache for several days now. By mid-afternoon it was all I could do to keep my eyelids open. I've often explained it as walking through water in a dark grey fog. Concentrating becomes almost impossible and depletes what little energy seems available to function. Today was that kind of day.

Once home tonight, I needed to finish two tasks for work -- writing and posting two short items for students to work on. These assignments go up on Fridays. Today I got home, ate a bit, turned on the TV for a 30 minute program and woke up 2 hours later. I've had to apologize to the class and tell them things will be posted tomorrow due to this silly migraine. I hate having to do this and not meet my own and other's deadlines. Not everyone understands the pain -- and I'm not wanting others to experience this just so they really understand -- but there are always those who seem not willing to accept this reason and see it as a gold-bricking excuse -- even other health professionals can refuse to understand how debilitating this process can be. It makes me sad that the empathy can't be mustered and these attitudes only add to the stress of the situation. On the whole, though, most people understand or at least accept that this is a major issue.

Having to explain my slower thought processes and inability to do my job can leave me feeling like a whiner -- so not a pleasant feeling. Facing limitations is never easy. A line from an older song came to mind today. The singer is someone who dealt with pain on many emotional levels during her short life. Not the same kind of pain I experienced today, but also one that wasn't well understood by others. Her voice ably communicated that pain in a palpable way and with a depth of feeling far beyond her years. The selection for today showcases that depth as well as the softness with which she sang the blues. Enjoy!

Cry Baby -- Janis Joplin


No comments:

Post a Comment