Sunday 18 September 2022

9-255 (12/9/22) -- Then and Now

Today began with some sun and lots of humidity. We had a leisurely breakfast as I listened to the BBC feed of the transport of the Queen's coffin from Holyroodhouse Palace to St. Giles Cathedral for a Service of Thanksgiving. This is followed by lying in rest where the public is invited to pay their respects. While resting here, the Scottish crown sits on the coffin. This version was made around 1540 from materials of a former crown, so it is centuries old. For me, the pearls are the defining feature. After reading about this part of the Scottish crown jewels collection, I learned that these pearls are all Scottish freshwater pearls. It is quite lovely. 

This period of mourning for the the late Queen brings much information that I haven't encountered before now. I understood some of the ceremonial pieces that would take place, but this will be the first time in my lifetime that these events have taken place. Hers will be the first royal state funeral since the one for her father, George VI, held in 1952 -- 70 years ago. In the UK, state funerals are reserved for monarchs. Very detailed funerals with lying in state occur for other members of the Royal Family and for prime ministers. This tidbit surprised me. So, the state funeral will be something unique to view. 

I find it intriguing to learn more about the history of the royalty in the UK and Commonwealth. I have learned several new things and will learn more over the next week. Part of my wishes that I didn't need to learn these things -- while inevitable, it just feels too soon. We are facing something new. The chorus lyrics of a song note how we we can make the journey together. That is what I feel the televised and online live feeds are helping many people from around the world to do. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

Brand New Sun -- Jason Lytle



No comments:

Post a Comment