Monday 2 June 2014

Day 153 -- flowers, flowers everywhere

Finally!  Flowers are blooming everywhere!

My yard has the best bunch of black (deep orchid) tulips in 15 years. There are 12 blooms in the lone clump, when the most ever was 6 blooms a few years ago. There is a Japanese lilac beginning to bloom in the back yard, too.  As I drive around town, I've seen the beginnings of the magenta rhodies -- I love that these grow out of doors. In the prairies where I lived most of my life, like azalias these come in small pots that bloom once and are done. There is no thought of trying to grow them in the yards -- growing season is very short and the winters are just too cold.

One pure delight are the apple blossoms. The ornamental crabapples and domestic apples are in bloom now. Of greater delight are the wild apples that grow alongside all roads and through the woods. June travels down the highway always include vistas filled with apple blossoms. The festival in the Annapolis Valley occurs this week. I have yet to attend this festival, so will need to plan better for next year.

Driving back from the grocery store tonight, the song for today ran through my head. My dad and I played this song together -- me on the piano and him on the saxophone. There have been several versions, yet I chose an earlier one to share today.  I enjoy the harmonies of this trio, but have often found the phrasing a bit odd -- with a breath near the end of a polysyllabic word. Even so, this is a great song. Enjoy!

(I'll be seeing you) In apple blossom time -- The Andrews Sisters


No comments:

Post a Comment