Friday 6 June 2014

Day 157 -- Operation Overlord

Juno Beach -- one of five beaches where allied forces entered France 70 years ago. This beach was where Canadian troops landed, alongside US forces on Omaha and Utah beaches and British forces on Gold and Sword beaches. The day began just after dawn with landing vessels tossed around in the rough seas. This was the beginning of the invasion of western Europe that moved towards Berlin and VE day.

Wars and battles are not something to glorify. When I pause to remember the men and women of past battles, I do so to recognize and honour their participation in the grittiness of combat. It isn't something that I feel we should continue to do -- fight wars, that is -- but given human nature, it seems there will always be the need to stand up for what one believes. So, today I paused and thanked the people who fought, were injured or captured, or died on Juno beach. I heard bagpipes this morning coming from the Legion Hall out behind my house. Many of the marches and laments written for bagpipes were written for battle. Music has been part of infantry for centuries with pipes, drums, fifes and other instruments.

There was only one song that came to mind to share today. Perhaps it was the bagpipes that made me think of this one. While it is a recent composition and deals with the death of a soldier in WWI, I still felt it fit the theme of the day. Be forewarned -- there be bagpipes here. Enjoy!

Sgt. Mackenzie -- Clann An Drumma


No comments:

Post a Comment