Sunday 1 June 2014

Day 152 -- history in music

A relatively quiet Sunday today with more of the usual housework completed. I spent much of the afternoon editing and practising speeches for the upcoming conference. Each time I think I'm there, I find something else that I stumble over when saying the sentence that is perfect on paper <smile>.  Things are coming together well and much will be over and off to other desks tomorrow.

I did watch a movie today over supper and a bit of time to relax later.  "Into the Storm" is about Churchill during WWII. He definitely had a way with words, but was a bit intense.  I had seen part of this years back, but have seen "The Gathering Storm" several times. It deals with Churchill and the UK government in the years leading up to the invasion of Poland in 1939.  Both are extremely coherent chronicles with well developed characters. Though the casts are different in the two films, they flow well.

Listening to those famous words from several of his speeches reminded me of a recording that included his voice from the famous 1940 speech ('never surrender'). Listening to it again this evening, I realized that it had been the theme song for W5 (a Canadian news program). You may recognize that segment of this multi-part composition. Something different for today <smile>.  Enjoy!.

Fool's Overture -- Supertramp (Roger Hodgson)


No comments:

Post a Comment