Saturday 21 June 2014

Day 172 -- a musical loss

On Thursday last week (June 19th), an amazing lyricist left this world. Gerry Goffin, half of the famed Goffin and King, was responsible for many musical memories recorded by many exceptional singers. I expect there are lots of songs that we know all the words to but may not realize who wrote those words. I have featured two of these songs in this blog -- Day 12 -- Pleasant Valley Sunday, and Day 128 -- Don't Bring Me Down. I expect there will be others in the future.

Today, I've chosen two songs from a long list of favourites with Gerry Goffin's input. One by a young woman that briefly had been a nanny for Carole King and Gerry Goffin before making this hit about a new dance craze. The other selection I heard by a Canadian group when I lived in Toronto and it speaks to relaxing in the midst of a big city. Enjoy!

Loco-motion -- Little Eva



Up on the Roof -- The Nylons


No comments:

Post a Comment