Sunday 15 June 2014

Day 166 -- sneaky feelings of inadequacy

Wondering today -- why do women tend to feel insecure or unworthy? I've witnessed this and felt it myself. Logic and all evidence can tell us we are successful and yet still feel we don't measure up. This manifests as disbelief when congratulated on a job that went very well. Sadly, this can become an inability to accept a compliment without disagreeing or cracking a joke.

I've tried to be gracious and accept a compliment, but it can be so darn tough <smile>. It doesn't mean that I feel the opposite is true, I just often feel it wasn't perfect or I could have done something different. It is that voice or self-talk that has been studied in women -- the internal conversation that can make us feel less than stellar. In many cases, one is shocked by the complement -- the surprise that others noticed or recognized something you'd poured your heart into as a good thing. Perhaps we are always expecting criticism and may be afraid to have our works in the public eye for this very reason. I think I need to read a bit more on this topic.

Today's selection highlights that we need to begin to glimpse ourselves as others may see us and be kinder to ourselves. Enjoy!

Hey you -- Miranda Cosgrove




No comments:

Post a Comment