Saturday 5 July 2014

Day 185 -- baggage woes

Each time I pack to travel, I sigh. Not only because I'm leaving one place or another, but because of the sad state of my luggage. Travel has been harsh for my poor Swiss Gear bag. I've contemplated purchasing new luggage. Each time I get close to making the decision amongst the "soup aisle" choices, some new damage has occurred to my poor little bag.

The first major event involved stripping the nylon off the framing wire and leaving the lower right corner wire poking out in two directions -- easy for someone to become impaled. On that trip I got duct tape and it has travelled with me ever since. The second big owie was the total dislodging of the handle assembly from the frame. Rivets were popped on the inside, while the entire handle was zipped inside the case. This incident resulted in me cutting my hand on the broken plastic when I unzipped the handle and tried to realign it so it would extend for me to pull the case through the airport. The assembly is now duct taped to the frame. The third damaged area was minor in comparison -- a mere 2-3 inch  puncture through the side denier that thankfully did not go through the inner lining. The upside of it all?  I can identify my bag quickly at a baggage carousel with the many splotches of silver tape AND no one else chooses to take my luggage instead of theirs <smile>.

So -- do I buy another good quality bag or not? The less expensive ones are not as large an investment, but perhaps they may not withstand airline baggage abuse as well. For now, I travel with my trusty duct tape.

The selection for today is a song posted to youtube a year or so before my first major incident -- interestingly on the same airline as in the song. Four songs were written about that case of baggage damage and I'm sharing the first of those here today. The others are well worth having a look through to see how things progressed. Enjoy!

United Breaks Guitars -- Sons of Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment