Thursday 24 July 2014

Day 205 -- calming prairie

Today I received an e-mail from a colleague I'd met when working in Saskatchewan. She retired to Halifax, so now we are both in Nova Scotia. She wrote of a visit to SK where she described the never-ending fields of yellow canola, blue skies and puffy white clouds. It made me stop and look at two artworks in my office -- one a photo of a wheat field and wooden grain elevator from the town where my grandparents homesteaded; the other a painting by an artist from home done from the perspective of the cockpit of one of the Snowbirds (Canadian Air Force aerobatic team) as they flew over the fields south of my home town (which also is their home base). When listening to a news magazine program this evening, they interviewed the cast of Corner Gas, who are finishing up filming a movie to be released this fall. They were on set in southern SK and spoke about places that I know well.

Needless to say all of this made me think of home, a bit wistfully. So, I've chosen to share a song by a Saskatchewan singer-songwriter that describes an area south of my home town and the town where the movie is being filmed. This video has great images of the area. I find the music and the images relaxing. Enjoy!

Wood River -- Connie Kaldor


No comments:

Post a Comment