Sunday 13 July 2014

Day 194 -- challenges of clothes shopping

An inspection of my favourite (and only) pair of jeans found some early fraying along a seam and pocket area. <sigh> I really dislike shopping for clothes. It is difficult to find something I like that actually fits. It becomes even more challenging when living in a small town with very little that is age appropriate. The sales assistants are very helpful given our age difference, but I find myself a bit self conscious when trying on something that shows areas I seem to be at odds with.

Body image issues do not deal only with body weight. They deal with shape as well as size. Changes as we age can be difficult to accept, and buying jeans draws attention to the effect of gravity <smile>. Why is it that women -- and men -- feel uncomfortable about how they look? I've studied this area and it is common in 'western' cultures. What do those cultures have in common? Mass media messages that seem to abhor aging as well as difference. If we would all be a homogeneous mass of people -- not individuals -- the marketing geniuses could sell more product -- creams, shampoos, hair dye, jeans, makeup and such. Most product marketing seems focussed to help us all stop aging -- or at least hide that it is happening. Now, even though I understand the physiology and psychology behind body changes over time, I still find that I can feel uncomfortable about the effects of the changes for 'me.'

Many positive social marketing campaigns work to improve self acceptance in all age groups. Other messages come from individuals. Today's selection is one of the latter. This is aimed at women in particular, but the message works for men, too. It has been making the rounds on Facebook. Perhaps we should all have this one handy to play when we need to pause and regroup after a trying day attempting to buy clothes that aren't even made in sizes and shapes that fit many of us <smile>. Enjoy!

Try -- Colbie Caillat

No comments:

Post a Comment