Friday 11 July 2014

Day 192 -- friends, food, fun

I've been out to eat and visit with friends three times this week. Each was a catch up visit with enjoyable conversations and laughs. It had been several months between visits with two friends, but tonight's visit was the first in 16 years! Last week, I visited with many people I hadn't seen in one to 10 years. The ability to pick up and continue on with any time break is a true gift. Each conversation was rejuvenating -- bringing  new perspectives, new research ides and  new stories.

These are the times I truly enjoy. If work and location allowed, these are visits that should happen more often. I need to make a greater effort to keep in contact when things get crazy busy with the academic term -- whether over lunch, dinner or tea or by phone for those living across the continent. Perhaps during those times of high stress at work, this type of visit and conversation would be a perfect pick-me-up -- not just for "me" but also for the others involved. It can provide a bit of normalcy in a lifestyle that is a bit abnormal <smile>. Sort of a 'get a life' break, where we can take time for ourselves and evade that "when did I become everybody's everything" feeling.

The song today contains the quote from that last sentence and reminds us of what we all need to do -- take some time for self care -- whatever that may entail. Enjoy!

Good Friend and a Glass of Wine -- Joss Stone featuring LeAnn Rimes


No comments:

Post a Comment