Saturday 26 July 2014

Day 207 -- hot, hazy day surprise

It was HOT today -- over 30C with a bit of humidity raising the 'feel like' temperature even further. I stayed indoors until after supper. As I walked down the driveway to the car, I stopped and stared at the house across the street.  There appeared to be smoke in the air around the house. When I looked elsewhere, I could see this settled all around me. I couldn't smell the smoke, so I wasn't worried about a local fire, though given the dryness of the grass and forests a fire is not outside the realm of possibility.

I met a friend who immediately pulled out a printout of a satellite shot of eastern North America. It is covered with a great grey mass of smoke.  Where did this come from? That outside my window travelled from the fires in the Northwest Territories -- thousands of kilometres!  Some of it may have met up with smoke moving along the jet stream from BC and Alberta fires, too. Amazing that it hasn't dissipated more after travelling so far. This likely has to do with the massive nature of these fires and how long they have been burning. When in SK last month there was a faint haze in the air as the first smoke from NWT made its way south, so it has taken a while to travel east. I've opened the windows to try to cool the house. I do find that my eyes are getting scratchy, so I may have to abandon that idea.

Today's selection was difficult -- a number of song lines came to mind, but I chose one line that best fit the situation outside. Enjoy!

Smoke from a distant fire -- Sanford Townsend Band


No comments:

Post a Comment