Tuesday 17 November 2015

Day 2 - 320 -- In the Shadows

When I arrived home from work tonight it was dark. There was a light mixed precipitation falling -- just light enough to see in the car headlights but not so much to feel when outside walking. One of the safety features on the car is that the headlights stay on for a bit after I exit the vehicle. It definitely helps when walking down my long, dark driveway. Tonight, the headlights behind me cast enormous shadows in front of me. The 50 foot or more stick character before me was quite intriguing, It reminded me of a giant puppet with movements being quite pronounced as they stretched down the drive, across the backyard and into the graveyard beyond.

Generally shadows walk beside us or behind us in the sunshine of the day or the moonlight in the night. Metaphorically shadows can be our friends, like for Peter Pan being something we can't fully function without. Other shadows seem darker and menacing and represent burdens or threats. The shadows tonight were entertaining. reminding me of Indonesian shadow puppets -- able to tell stories and amuse. Shadows can make us see ourselves represented differently than in a mirror and perhaps show us parts of ourselves that we can't see in the mirror. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to the shadows I cast -- literally and figuratively.

The song I've chosen to share speaks to shadows at night with cloud cover, much like my experience tonight. The lyrics also speak to seeing oneself through shadows. Enjoy!

Shadows in the Rain -- Sting


No comments:

Post a Comment