Thursday 26 November 2015

Day 2 - 329 -- Power in Small Gestures

Today was filled with giving. Working with a student I was able to provide something small that took some of their pressure away. Later in the day a colleague gave back for a fun lecture I'd provided for her class a while ago -- just something small that I loved to talk about that added to that course content.  When I stopped by the mall for an errand, I made a small purchase at the bookstore. When paying I discovered a gift card in my wallet and found that it had much more on it than I'd expected there to be -- the universe giving to me.

It always surprises me how small things can mean so much. Perhaps the effect comes from their unexpected nature. When you expect to do something for fun or to help others in a small way, it can have a larger impact on their day -- similarly to a smile, that small gesture expands when it is released into the world. All the more reason for adding small gestures to daily life.

A few lines from one song came to mind today. Those lyrics clearly spoke of the importance of giving and its reciprocal nature. Enjoy!

Give a Little Bit -- Supertramp


No comments:

Post a Comment