Friday 27 November 2015

Day 2 - 330 -- Marking the Passage of Time

What a warm, sunny day it was today!  Temperatures went into the mid-teens (Celsius) this afternoon. I went home an hour early and spent some time picking up twigs that came down in the storm at the beginning of the week -- sort of a grown up pick-up-sticks <smile>. It is always good for some great stretching when picking up things and upper arm work to break the longer branches to fit into the compost bin. It was pleasant to do this prior to sundown, which seems to be happening earlier and earlier -- well, I'm actually noticing the change this week. Once that was completed to my satisfaction, it was time to pack the furry one off to the vet for the annual check and a vaccine that was due. He truly is such a good boy -- he purred through the whole visit and made friends with the new clinic kitten who just laid beside the carrier as they communed. Very cute. Seminars for the research students completed today. Their studies are so varied and intriguing. It will be exciting to see the final product in March. All that, and a friend celebrated a milestone birthday today. So, it definitely was not a dull day.

Many markings of passing time surfaced today. I complain that I can't always tell what time it is with one of my watches. The second hand really messes me up as it is similar in size and length to the other two hands. So, as one of my students said, "You pretty much need to have an idea of the time before you look at your watch." That made me laugh. I guess I just need to use the watch that I had refurbished this summer. The hands are much darker against the background, so should fix my time checking difficulties. Seeing annual events occur that mark our passage through the year emphasized the impending end of term. It is time to reflect on the accomplishments of the past 13 weeks (and some of those are awaiting grading this weekend). The progression of the day showed me that while things may be expected to occur at different times of the year, they are not routine; in fact, they occur in different ways each year.

The song title that ran through my mind had been highlighted on the morning show today. It wasn't until the end of the day, that I realized how it had been placed in my head. The title and other lyrics do deal with many of the themes and activities of the day. The singer has an unmistakable voice and style. Enjoy!

What's New Pussy Cat -- Tom Jones






No comments:

Post a Comment