Friday 30 May 2014

Day 150 -- end of another week

Friday again -- it seemed a long week but I managed to get one large item from April off the (virtual) desk and sent off to the community partner. Yay!  I even managed to set up appointments for car oil change and cleaning next week. How do other people manage this sort of thing without a personal assistant? <smile>

This evening I wrote an assignment for the MOOC -- I had the guts of it together late last evening and then seemed to be writing and finessing it in my sleep all night. That is the way I write -- an outline and then it all happens in my head, that iterative process of writing, editing, writing, editing. When describing what the writing process should look like to students, I let them know the multiple iterations a piece will have -- whether on paper or in their minds. The repetitive process may seem frustrating, but stopping before it is really done does the writing and the writer a disservice. So -- iterative does not mean running in circles chasing your tail; instead, I like to describe it as an upwards spiral with each version being different from and better than the last. This isn't my analogy. I appropriated it from a book I read 20 some years ago when writing my dissertation -- if I had to guess I'd say it was from Creswell, but I'm not certain. I do enjoy writing, though as I've said before, it can be painful, particularly with a looming deadline. This MOOC is allowing me to write about some of the research that hasn't yet found its way into articles.  It is still one large mish-mash and needs to be teased apart, so I am enjoying the opportunity to begin that process within the structure of a course.

Today the selection doesn't really fit with the thoughts or events of the day. It is, however, a song rhythm that has been running through my head today for no particular reason. Two great singers share the lyrics of this one. Enjoy!

We'll be together -- Sting and Annie Lennox




No comments:

Post a Comment