Wednesday 14 November 2018

Day 5 - 317 -- thoughts on loss

Today and last night have been filled with very strong winds. I woke about 3:30 AM when something hit the side of the house. Later in the light of day, I found a larger branch from the pine in the back yard -- nothing huge, but that must have been the culprit last night. During the day the sun was strong. We had about 4 inches of snow last evening followed by rain and near double digit temperatures followed by a rapid drop to below freezing this morning. The wind chills have been shockingly brisk. I ran a few errands while the sun still shone and then headed home to work before the next snow blew -- or flew -- into sight.

I've spent several days thinking of those who aren't with me anymore. Yesterday, another person I cared for passed from this world. I've pondered the nature of grief a lot over the years. As I've said, it is never the same twice -- never a familiar feeling. It never really goes away. We are never the same people after it visits. Yet, the world around us continues to move in its somewhat predictable way. Seasons change, the sun rises and sets, and other daily events persist. Perhaps some of the continuation is seen differently, meaning that there is renewal happening around us and within us.

The song that keeps coming to the fore has been one from a stage musical that was made into a movie. I've seen both. The sense of loss, anxiousness and desperation of grief come through in the repetition of the melody and its rhythms. The lyrics note the silent march of time even when we feel  it is standing still. Enjoy!

Without you -- from RENT -- Daphne Ruben-Vega & Adam Pascal

No comments:

Post a Comment