Friday 16 November 2018

Day 5 - 319 -- Visibility and Vision

What a day for a walk! I had an eye appointment just after lunch where my pupils are dilated. For that reason, I walk to the appointment. For the first time in a very long time, the annual visit to the optometrist was on a cloudy day -- twilight all day long. Perfect light conditions for me walking home looking like something from some horror or scifi movie <g>.  The challenging part of the walk today was that it occurred in the midst of a snow storm. Very light drizzle fell as I left the house. about 5 minutes into the 20ish minute walk, large fluffy snow flakes filled the air. The wind was from the east as I walked south -- so a bit of a cross wind in places. The route took me through the two interchanges for the major highway that skirts the south side of town. Since I walked this last year, a gas station complex has been built in the midst of the many roads heading in all directions. I crossed the roads and headed up beside the gas station. Well, it seems this is a whole new road. Last year there were 4 directions to take in the roundabout and this year there are now five. The snow made it difficult to see that I was walking to a dead end until I was half way there. Backtracking I arrived a bit later than planned, so was there 15 minutes before my appointment time. [side note: Why isn't the appointment made for when you need to be there, not 15 minutes later? A topic for another blog.]

Things went well with the appointment. I often get a headache from the bright lights that must be shone into the eye to see the retina and such. That's where I am now. <sigh> The walk home had better visibility since it had switched back to drizzle by then. My one encounter was with a plow coming down the off ramp from the highway. I saw him coming and stood way back from the edge of the sidewalk to avoid the spray of water and particulates he was throwing. He saw me and stopped so I could cross the road -- very nice of him. That doesn't happen often with the fellows driving down my street when I'm out shoveling -- so the actions today were much appreciated.

A song title and lyric line so fits the main events of the day. These words remind me of the questions I was asked and those I asked of the optometrist. The lyrics also mention grey clouds, which are still outside my window tonight. This is from the early career of an iconic band. Enjoy!

Tell Me What You See -- The Beatles


No comments:

Post a Comment