Wednesday 21 November 2018

Day 5 - 323 -- Small Town, Big City

The day filled with many activities. Walking to work in slush and some slippery sections brought some giggles to our conversation. In the afternoon, by colleague presented a career overview for an interested audience. Many good questions and discussion afterwards. More work was done on the writing projects and then we headed out for dinner.

Something my co-worker said often in the past couple of days was that she couldn't believe that she was actually here. We've talked about it for some time. Being in a smaller town has presented its charms, too <smile>. I know when I moved here I wasn't sure what it would be like. There were about 4500 permanent residents and 4000 students. Today this hasn't changed much, with 5000 residents and about 4500 students. I've noted that I can go out for a walk, get groceries, or visit the physician and  I will almost always see someone I know. Now, that took several years to begin to occur, but after two decades I feel I know more people and have a better handle on the history of the area. So, smaller can mean that many others know who you are -- less anonymity -- but it can mean when  you need assistance, someone you know is close at hand.

I chose a song with lyrics that spoke about a small town and even notes being lost in a dream in such a place. Enjoy!

Big Love in a Small Town -- Lady Antebellum


No comments:

Post a Comment