Wednesday 2 December 2020

Day 7 - 337 -- Holiday Preparations

 

A mid-week, rainy day, but with wind that greatly reduced to a light breeze by late afternoon. I put on the rain gear and walked up to the office to print a file and discovered that I couldn't access the internet by hardwire or wifi <sigh>. So, I walked back down the hill. It wasn't a total waste since it did get some exercise and this time only had 104 stairs and these were much closer together than the walk two days ago. The wood on the bridge I crossed today -- different from the larger one I use most days -- was wet and almost slimy. If it had been cold, I would have thought there was frost, but temps were into the mid-teens, so way above freezing mark. I did slip and managed to right myself but will have a bruise on the arm where it hit the barricade part of the bridge along the sidewalk. <sigh>  Will need to let folks at town hall know about this situation. 

I got some things ready to hit the mail tomorrow. I'm all prepared to be in a lengthy line of others with the same task on their to do lists. <smile> A couple more things have to be sent either electronically or by mail. Then decorating will commence. It won't be over the top, but a tree with lights and maybe a few ornaments added, and some holiday linens will be the minimum. 

After a late supper tonight, I attended an incredible streaming holiday concert featuring a singer/cellist and a pianist. Their delightful jazz arrangements of holiday classics helped me to relax. Their banter brought laughter. A recording should be available so I will likely listen to this one often through the next month. Seeing the artists enjoying their art form felt almost normal -- but we weren't there in person. The singer noted that we needed more connections -- likely virtual -- and kindness -- "especially this year." She was so right. One comment from a viewer noted their tree went up October 1 and would remain up until the pandemic is over. I can understand this, since my tree stayed up until into April. The lights bring a feeling of peace and beauty -- something that one really has to search for at present. I look forward to seeing the lights again in a few more days. 

The song that opened the concert tonight had a superb arrangement. Since that isn't available online, I will share a different jazz rendition of the same song. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Christmas Time is Here -- John Legend



No comments:

Post a Comment