Tuesday 1 December 2020

Day 7 - 335 -- Our Hero Selves

After an early morning MD call for the annual lab work order, I was off to run errands before the storm descends on us overnight. This involved two stores for groceries, a stop to fill car with gas, and a visit to the MD office to pick up the hard copy of the lab requisition. That took longer than planned due to several delays along the way with lineups to pay. A chat with a friend was a nice break in the day. In late afternoon, I walked up to campus where I was able to check mail, drop off mail,, chat with friends (hadn't done this since beginning of October) and print a few files. Along the journey around campus, I climbed 178 stairs -- not all at once, mind you <grin> but along the way (27 + 44 +30 + 11 +12 + 54) --I expect to feel that tomorrow, but was pleased that I was able to do this. Shows that there has been some recuperation from the 3+ week head cold  -- part of which is still hanging around, much to my displeasure.

The stair climbing done today is not out of ordinary when moving around a campus built on a hill. When I totaled the number of stairs, I felt a bit like a superhero -- well, aging superhero <ggg>  This thought reminded me of a quote from a musician and philosopher.  

"'Be a hero to yourself''. By that I mean, regard your life's story in the same light as those tales of Greek and Roman heroes, who were born to kings and queens and found their lives dashed down to humble circumstances, and who redeemed their lives through heroic deeds (with a lot of help). Those heroic stories, it turns out, are everybody's stories, and it's deeply useful, I am convinced, to regard ourselves as that kind of hero. Hang in there, and don't quit just before the miracle."  -- Peter Tork, From Ask Peter Tork, April 2008

This quotation has always spoken to me about being kind to ourselves. It took on a different meaning in these strange and isolating times -- being heroic as we travel these untrodden paths BUT recognizing we need others to break trail together and complete this journey. While we can feel alone along the way, we aren't. We need to recognize that others around us are struggling on their paths. We can be heroes to others, but we need to treat ourselves in a similar kind manner. The words to a song -- whittled down from several great lyrics -- could speak to others, but becomes stronger when we speak those words to ourselves. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Brave -- Sara Bareilles



No comments:

Post a Comment