Friday 25 December 2020

Day 7 - 360 -- Christmas Wishes

The morning got off to an unexpected start. The green Christmas day was warm and lovely, yet I was outside waiting for the town bells to ring and heard nothing. I'm not sure what happened there, but even with cloud and wind, the air was pleasantly warm. They tell us we are far warmer than the southern US where temperatures have dropped dramatically and snow has fallen where snow rarely is seen. 

After a yummy breakfast, I opened a couple of gifts. I tend to spread them across today and Boxing Day (tomorrow) just to have something fun to look forward to. <smile> I felt like a kid this morning and expect the squealing with delight at the gifts opened caused no end of concern with the furry one <grin>. I watched a Christmas episode of Father Knows Best (old time TV show <grin>). The family was stranded on the mountain when snow interrupted their quest for a tree. They found shelter in a cabin but were anxious to get back home or "we won't have any Christmas". Their host paused and replied, "Did you ever think that it is Christmas up here, too?" That struck me as a perfect way to look at the altered Christmas many are having this year. All the trappings don't really make it Christmas. Having a different celebrations is still a celebration. I hope people don't lose hold of that this year. 

A Christmas wish for everyone in the form of a Celtic blessing

May you be blessed with

The spirit of the season, which is peace.

The gladness of the season, which is hope

and

The heart of the season, which is love.

Now, while I didn't hear the bells today, I chose a song about that very thing. The lyrics are a poem written by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (whom some of the family have jokingly called Uncle Hank <smile>). The story behind his writing this song is filled with family tragedy. It is worth a read if you Google it. Stay safe. Enjoy!  

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day -- Frank Sinatra




No comments:

Post a Comment