Friday 25 December 2020

Day 7 - 358 -- Resilient Thinking

Christmas eve eve seems to be a 'thing' now. Interesting. The theme of the day again has been flexibility -- physical and mental. I walked up to campus to collect the office mail. There was a bit of a breeze but stronger gusts coming from the north. These pushed me slightly on the way uphill but nipped at the exposed facial skin on the way back home. Sidewalks were wet in places, so I was skirting those areas in case they became slippery after sunset -- like dancing down the sidewalk <smile>. Some new information required nimble thinking to work around -- not the end of the world, just a different outcome than had been envisioned. 

Nimble thinking hasn't been the easiest of late. The brain works differently these days. Focus seems difficult almost daily. Forgetting a thought or planned action seems common. Today I planned to be home earlier than when I actually arrived. I was 40 minutes late for an online call that I remembered as I walked in the front door. Adding something to the grocery list can be an exercise in frustration as I walk from wherever to the kitchen to write on the list, only to be unable to add anything. It all comes back-- just minutes later. This is common among many people during the social isolation of the pandemic. Working from home and having limited contacts outside the household reduce social contact. As humans are social animals, isolation can bring negative mental health impacts. It is used as punishment after all <sigh>. 

Christmas has become quite commercialized and romanticized. For many it isn't the 'happiest time of the year' as we hear in music and advertisements from sometime in October. The song chosen for today notes the hollow promises or expectations but hangs onto the core of the holiday wishes -- fitting for this current year. Be resilient. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

I Believe in Father Christmas -- Greg Lake


 


No comments:

Post a Comment