Sunday 27 December 2020

Day 7 - 362 -- Holiday Reflections

Bright sunshine greeted my morning. Clouds had begun to arrive by early afternoon when I headed out for a walk, but blue skies still were visible between the clouds. I planned a quiet day catching up on household chores and cooking a dinner that will provide a couple of meals and then allow me to make another main dish from leftovers -- one that brings comfort in memories of childhood dinners, so a comfort food. 

Holidays bring past memories along with newer traditions. This year, I made turnip puff, which has become a new tradition for me. I also made a new vegetable dish to try and it will be part of future holiday meals -- spinach Madeleine. Both are so yummy and colourful. Ornaments that go onto the tree at my house are from places I've visited in my travels and represent memories with friends and family. Some are older from trees of family members no longer here. While it may seem maudlin or sad to some, I find these bring smiles. Some years, like this year I don't put many ornaments on the tree other than the lights and the woven wheat angel. It is still a wonderful presence -- the lights bring feelings of peace and calm. As the years progress, the circles of celebrants has gotten smaller, but the celebrations are no less meaningful. Even this year, when separated from others with a distanced celebration, chatting in person or virtually made the days so very special. We are lucky to have each other for certain. 

Finding a song lyric that mentions several holiday 'traditions' took some thinking, but this one seemed to fit my reflections today. This is one from the '50s sung by a fresh new voice of a 14 year old. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Rockin' 'Round the Christmas Tree -- Brenda Lee






No comments:

Post a Comment