Friday 11 December 2020

Day 7 - 346 -- Things are Different

The university chose to use a team bus to gather food bank donations using the tag line - "Stuff the Bus". What a very cool idea. The demand this year is far greater than usual due to the financial pressures of the pandemic. We often think of donating to food banks around the major holidays, when demand exists all year long. I'd love to live in a world where all food banks could be closed and the root poverty had been dealt with through policy on multiple levels. People would have far more dignified ways to feed themselves if this were the case. Happily the bus was fairly full when I stopped by with my bag of goodies.

While at grocery store later in the day, I found myself near tears as I heard the lyrics of an older holiday song -- heard in a very different way -- "through the years, we'll all be together, if the fates allow" -- made me think of this year and hope that next year will be together with friends and family in person rather than virtually. The lyrics have a strong 'next year' theme. it was written as a hopeful piece for the movie musical Meet me in St. Louis. 

I've chosen to share two songs here. The first one from the movie, and the second a song that fits the idea of the pandemic Christmas. It will be different this year and one line said it all for me "we'll cherish all these simple things wherever we may be." This one also has a delightful video. Stay safe. Enjoy!

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas -- Michael Buble



That's Christmas to Me -- Pentatonix



No comments:

Post a Comment