Saturday 29 July 2023

10-195 (14/7/23) -- The Deed is Done

I got a text message from the landlord at 7 AM to let me know what the cleaning list for tenants contains. Like on the last day of the lease <sigh>. So, I headed back to do the small things I had in mind but added the bits about moving the fridge and stove to clean underneath. I had done most other things over the past two days and took all the equipment to the new place last night. After the cleaning activity, I took a load of things from the freezer to the new place and then returned to check the shed. I hadn't looked in there since before COVID. The key went into the lock, but there was so much rust, that it wouldn't turn to unlock the thing. I packed up the outdoor plants so the new patio where they will perk up the place. 

I then spent a couple hours breaking down the last of the boxes and getting them bundled to go to the curb next week. I sorted the recycling and got it all bagged to go. The sun was setting as I left the house for the final time. I guess that was a fitting end. I took time to walk through the house one last time and note the amazing things that happened there over the past 25 years -- good and less so. I then walked through the gorgeous yard and took time to take in the views. One day lily bloomed today -- just for me maybe. It was the first of what looks like an amazing number of blossoms this year. A neighbour that I didn't know stopped to talk as I was getting ready to get into the car -- another message to me that new neighbours will be met at the new place. 

One other difficult event was exchanging keys with the wonderful neighbours across the street. They've been here for 50 years and I was here for half of that. They helped me in many ways over the years with everything from pet care to taking me to emerg when I broke my elbow one afternoon. It was comforting to see their lights on or see their car home. She told me the same thing. I hope to get back for a quick visit when I go downtown or onto campus. I also was unable to say goodbye to the Great Pyrennes and the cats down the block this week. Their person was away whenever I went to by. There will be another day when I go by their house, I know.  

A song about phases of life came to mind. Moving is never easy -- leaving people, routines and things behind can be challenging -- even if just moving down the street a bit. A new neghbourhood will take over daily life. At least there is the possibility of seeing folks from the former 'hood. Keep safe. Enjoy! 

You're Gonna Miss This -- Trace Atkins



No comments:

Post a Comment