Tuesday 4 July 2017

Day 4 - 185 -- Neck Pain

I took an extra day for an extended long weekend.  The day had cooler air and a pleasant breeze. The sun was strong, but the day was partly cloudy so the sun wasn't as relentless as it can be. Several errands filled the day. I mailed letters and even got a hand cancellation for one of them <smile>. The stamps were too pretty to have some big black machine smear deposited on them. I hope they make it to their destination without damage. I do collect stamps, so I hate to see them defaced -- wonderful little works of art. <smile>. I got a few quick grocery items and stopped at the bakery in time for the half-price sale of yesterday's items. Score! <grin>. I then went for a physio appointment. My neck has been creating discomfort over the weekend, so it was time to get some outside assistance. My stretching exercises weren't enough to manage the issue.

Tomorrow the neck may be sorer than today, but that is part of the process. The day after that should be better. So, I expect some 'morning after blues' and hope that the pain subsides as the morning wears on. This is like many negative emotions or experiences -- we know there will be pain, but hope that it will leave quickly. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. We don't know until we live through the pain. Then, on some distant day, we'll wake up with that old pain again. Having lived through it once or twice or more, we know what it is and know it will go with some work -- physical or mental exercises.

A song that deals with some of the familiar pain came to me as my mind wandered around today. This is from a major Canadian troubadour -- songwriter and singer. The lyrics are wonderfully poetic, the phrasing is fascinating, and the acoustic guitar is like a second voice. Enjoy!

Carefree Highway -- Gordon Lightfoot


No comments:

Post a Comment