Saturday 15 July 2017

Day 4 - 196 -- A Humdrum Day

Saturday brought chores that are almost done -- one more load of laundry left. I shared with the neighbours the big bag of garlic scapes provided from a friend's garden. I still had some in the fridge from another friend. Even if I froze them all, there would be more than I'd use in the next few months. Sharing seemed to make sense <smile>. We had a good chat about weather, work and the neighbourhood --fun.

Garlic scapes were new to me a few years ago when I got my first ones in a local food box. I found some simple ways to use them and loved them. I add them to salads, stir fries or sautes, and pizza. Sauteed with olive oil and some leafy greens - yum. Saute with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and a bit of spinach to serve over pasta -- amazing. I read a new recipe that purees them with olive oil, sunflower seed, Parmesan cheese to make a pesto -- must give that a try. The mild garlic flavour is very pleasant. They freeze well, but can lose some flavour if kept too long. I even saw them in a frozen vegetable mix from the grocery store. So, like strawberries and rhubarb, these are the early summer garden delights. We eat a lot of them, but just at this time of year.

Other than the housework and the local foods it has been a quiet day. Temperatures are beginning to climb again, with overnight lows to be warmer than the past few nights. Early in the week it will be fairly warm and humid -- hot. The routine of much of the day made me think of a song about the usual pattern in a city in northern Ontario, sung by a true Canadian story teller. Enjoy!

Sudbury Saturday Night -- Stompin' Tom Conners


No comments:

Post a Comment