Saturday 12 August 2017

Day 4 - 224 -- Changing Plans

As I woke this morning, I heard my head say 'you're not going anywhere today'. I had plans to drive down the highway to the next town to shop. A migraine had settled in overnight. Now, it was to rain a bit throughout the afternoon but not too much. Luckily, I didn't try to drive as it poured for some time right around the time I'd have been halfway between here and there. There was even thunder. So, once I realized that eating breakfast would have to wait for the nausea to pass, I chose to focus on laundry and weekly cleaning. I spent a fair amount of time resting and sorting through the most recent caches of stamps gifted to me by colleagues. I sort through and choose from those I don't already have and then send the package to another colleague who does the same and then passes it along again. It made me feel I was doing something -- and it was something that I love to do but don't get time to devote to it except when on vacation. I'd like that to change, but then some wise singer once sang 'you can't always get what you want.' <smile>

Tonight is the peak of the Perseid meteor showers. (reread that last sentence above once more). I've just checked out the window in hopes of seeing the sky. No luck. It remains cloudy and fog is to set in overnight with more rain that should end midday tomorrow -- no Perseids for me tonight. The list of wishes still exists, it just will have to wait another day or two. There will be meteors for several more days, just fewer to see than tonight. The learning for the day -- plans fall through and we should always have a plan B or C at the ready.

Knowing that the comet debris is burning up in the atmosphere made me think of the general makeup of life. Some say we are made of atoms from eons ago. A line from a song says it much more eloquently. I'll share that song here today. It has an introspective mood. The lyrics show the flexibility or spontaneity of the change to the narrator's travel plans. It just fit today so well on many counts. This version has the younger voice of this wonderful singer-songwriter. The timbre is perfect and the notes so clear in this unplugged version. I've always enjoyed the near atonal aspects of this composition. Enjoy!

Woodstock -- Joni Mitchell



No comments:

Post a Comment