Wednesday 30 August 2017

Day 4 - 242 -- The Bounty of Summer

The highlight of the day was visiting a local farming group and coming home with the bounties of the end of summer. A peaches and cream variety of corn, the sweetest yellow cherry tomatoes and wonderful yellow and green zucchini (small ones) -- all followed me home today. They had been picked early this morning before the seller came to town. The freshness could be seen when looking at the produce -- perfection. I cooked the corn for supper along with a saute of zucchini, onions, garlic and tomatoes with a hint of red pepper flakes. There is enough for leftovers for tomorrow evening and some raw squash and tomatoes left for other recipes. Added to the delights of the foods, I love knowing who grew it. Knowing some of the growers to speak to helps me to connect with the food --from seed to harvest -- by understanding the world of the producer. My dad developed relationships with the producers of bread, eggs and chickens that we bought directly from growers. It is a privilege.

I so love the end of summer harvest. Some years the home gardens yield far more than a household can manage -- particularly if zucchini and tomatoes were planted <smile>.  As a nutritionist, I have been asked what people can do with the excess. My response is often, what can you not do? Freezing grated zucchini, especially if it has gotten large when you had your back turned, works well. That means fall zucchini loaves and zucchini latkes. Tomatoes lend themselves to freezing as well as roasting or saucing prior to freezing. Luckily, these two vegetables are very versatile. Now corn -- I tend to binge on it when fresh, boiled on the cob. It can also be cut off the cob, blanched and frozen. But to me, there is nothing better than eating it fresh from the cob dripping with butter -- a bit messy at times, but that is part of the experience. I remember waiting for the Taber (a town in southern Alberta) corn truck to come to town in late summer. A half-ton with sacks of corn in the back would set up at the mall or a parking lot in town. The anticipation made the acquisition that much sweeter. <smile>

Each of the three seasonal foods is imbued with vivid and deep set memories -- ones I will carry with me forever, I'm sure. When speaking with others over the past couple of weeks, there seems to be a sense of giddiness at the abundance we have at the markets at present. I see a wistful look as part of that anticipation and have heard their stories of childhood corn boils and fresh tomato sandwiches. These good basic foods are central to the culinary histories of many people from different parts of the country -- a wonderful thing to have in common.

The song today should bring a smile. The fun lyrics cover the process of growing, but focus heavily on consumption <smile> -- and sung by a country boy. Enjoy!

Home Grown Tomatoes -- John Denver


No comments:

Post a Comment