Friday 25 August 2017

Day 4 - 237 -- Sky Gazing

It's been a busy Friday that brought with it many things to ponder. It began with me heading to the hardware store for ceiling tiles so the repair guy can fix the gaping hole in the basement ceiling tomorrow. They sent me to warehouse #1 to find a person to help load them into the car. From there, the assistant sent me around the back of the lot to #7. While standing there waiting, I could see him walking through the second floor and hear him muttering about not finding the things. I then told him they'd just come in overnight on the latest truck. It seems they had been in #7, but for some reason were now in #6. While moving from place to place, I had time to watch the sky and the clouds moving with the wind. Everyone was pleasant, which also helped me go with the flow. I then went to a sporting goods and clothing store. They have a sale on shoes and online had many options of the brand I want. At the store, nary a one was on the floor. I wandered looking at the shoes and at the boxes that held shoes for over 10 minutes. All the while the sales folks were chatting up at the cash. I can order them online, but had hoped someone would speak to me so I could just have them bring in the ones I wanted. I left there and again watched as more clouds gathered in the sky -- an omen perhaps <smile>. Other errands at the post office and grocery store went smoothly.  As I unloaded the car at home, I found there was a cooler breeze every so often. By supper time, this was cool enough to require jeans instead of shorts when I headed out to the local wood-fired pizza mobile oven for supper -- cherry tomato, fresh basil, roasted garlic, red onion and chili peppers -- totally great combo.

The weather has been hinting at the end of summer. Looking at the calendar, I'm just not sure how we got to the 25th of August already. So, the dog days of summer may be over. This might also explain my lack of energy or motivation of late.  The dog days are defined as hot summer days filled with "lethargy, inactivity, and indolence" (dictionary.com). That pretty much sums up my past week and a bit. The current rising anxiety made me think of ways to disengage the limbic system and get the thought processes back on track. Taking time to watch the sky today helped with that.

Noting what we see, hear, smell, feel and taste can redirect brain functions and help regain a sense of control again. A song lyric instructs to hear, smell and feel and then to let things go. The version shared here is a cover by a Canadian artist -- one I met at a wedding many moons ago <smile>.  I love the unplugged aspect of this cover -- gives him time to show his skills with an acoustic guitar for a change. He is a prairie boy from less than an hour from my home town. <smile>. Enjoy!

Into the Mystic -- Colin James


No comments:

Post a Comment