Monday 21 August 2017

Day 4 - 232 -- Long Distance

Wow! the sun shone today with temps in the high 20s but feel like temps in the mid-30s. The air outside was so thick. It hit you in the face when you opened a door. I spent most of the day inside working on housework and writing some letters to friends and family, so it was a bit cooler -- but just a bit <smile>. Tomorrow is to be similar with even higher temps on Tuesday. I'll need to find somewhere cool to hang out.

A family member reminded me that three years ago we were touring the Annapolis Valley and Fundy shore together. Where does the time go? That got me thinking about many things. I found myself thinking of all the people who live far away from me -- people that I feel close to in my heart but not geographically. That last word was the key. It is the sheer distance between us all. It took a while to get to that as the crux of feelings. I do miss friends and family, but it is the vastness of the country -- no continent -- that places the barriers to more frequent visits. Being able to drive somewhere for the evening or for a weekend would be great, but most people live much further away. Flying can be done, but it can take 12 or more hours to get from here to places out west or down south. That eats into a weekend. Having lived, worked, and gone to school in four provinces, many friends and colleagues are spread across Canada and into the US. So, the culprit isn't me, or laziness, but distance. Hmm -- need to find a way past that.

A line from a song came to mind -- 'being far away for far too long' -- seemed to sum up the day's thoughts. The rhythm mimics the angst of being so far from everyone. Enjoy!

Far Away -- Nickelback





No comments:

Post a Comment