Wednesday 25 November 2020

Day 7 - 328 -- Pondering Boundaries

The concept of boundaries entered my thoughts today. We are surrounded by all types of boundaries in our daily lives -- doors for only going in or going out, international and provincial or state borders, limits of a tank of gas, what we like or don't like. Are these constraints put upon us by others or are they limits we've set for others? Lots to think about there. <smile> 

My mind then headed into a gratitude exercise. When feeling pressures from outside forces on our comfort levels, there are still things for which to be thankful. I often try to end the day by naming three things to be grateful for from that day. I have become distanced from this for a while, and want to re-establish this practice. So, I will list the things that helped me through my day. 

--  The soothing sound and vibrations of a purring cat who chooses to sit closer as days get cooler

-- Technology that keeps me connected -- TV for entertainment and information, virtual platforms and wifi in my own home to keep me connected to people outside my home 

-- Friends and family willing to share the ups and downs of each day

-- Music, especially musicians, who share such wonderful thoughts through song

-- Mail and parcel delivery to my front door 

Well, there are more than three there <smile> I dislike being constrained by rules and boundaries, it seems <grin>.  A couple of things came to mind while thinking through this concept of constraints. One is a saying I've heard since childhood -- "Good fences make good neighbours." There is much buried in those few words. The other is a quote attributed to Pete Seger -- "Songs are sneaky things; they can slip across borders." Again, from a folk-singer advocate, that speaks volumes. 

The song for today got stuck in my head during my cerebral meanerings today. It was one my dad enjoyed, so I've heard it a lot and know all the words <smile>. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

Don't Fence Me In -- Willie Nelson




No comments:

Post a Comment