Thursday 26 November 2020

Day 7 - 329 -- Transitions

Today the concept of the day was transitions. Changes are happening all around us. The world is in a constant state of flux, but current events globally provide us with alterations that we may not be fully ready to embrace. Not that humans adapt well to change. Much as we might hate to admit, we are creatures of habit. When presented with a change outside our circle of control, we balk somewhat, often due to fear. What will this new way of doing things be like? I like the old way, it worked well, so why change? Even with a cogent reason, there is still push back. Perhaps it is because we are individualists and dislike external controls -- even though there is no way around them. 

So, what brought this on? Major centres in this province and others are moving toward -- if not fully into -- lockdown mode. This has altered protocols for annual events -- no Santa Claus parade in town, no in-person ceremonies on campus, no travel within the broader region. It made me think about doing new things. Adding something new into the tried and true tradition may help us to recall "the year when we tried [something new]" -- a group experience of something new can be fun regardless of the outcome and will bring new memories. Doing new things is a challenge I make to myself  so I don't get too mired in a rut or become to complacent. It challenges me to see things differently, be brave, find things I like or don't like,and keep up with the world around me. While those are things I've chosen to do most of the time, others were visited upon me due to circumstances -- delayed luggage, broken bone, damaged vehicle -- but I learned many things from each of the less desirable -- sometime more than with the desired outcomes. 

A song lyric that fits the goal of purposely doing new things is share with you here. Stay safe. Enjoy! 

I am Changing -- Jennifer Hudson




No comments:

Post a Comment