Wednesday 22 January 2014

Day 22 -- Another Nor'easter arrives

Thankfully, today's storm has been a fast moving one and not one that stalls over the area for days. That said, it did leave a lot of souvenirs in the form of snow and drifts. The wind is dying down slowly. It is far quieter out there right now than earlier in the evening. Gusts are still pronounced, so I've chosen not to head out to do any shovelling other than clearing the porch so I can open the door in the morning <smile>. I have an early class tomorrow, so will do what I can before heading into the office.

I had a 1:15 class today, so worked from home this morning after moving the snow that fell overnight. By 11:45 AM there was no notice other than one stating the University was open. So, I walked in -- didn't want to have to drive home through what I knew was on its way. It was chilly with a light breeze and a bit of snow on the ground with not much falling at that point. I arrived and booted the computer and headed off to make a cup of tea. By 12:20 PM when I saw some students in the hallway, they told me the University had closed at noon -- the notice sent as I was walking in. <sigh>. So -- I did some of the work planned for the afternoon and checked out the lab room. We had one booked for today, but will now have to find ways for students to make up the session. It was on sugar and ice crystallization -- a rather fun and yummy lab. So -- I was able to test out the penuche and divinity made yesterday afternoon. That was my treat for the weather silliness today <smile>. Both were tasty with good texture.

I headed home about 2 PM when the snow was beginning to pick up as was the wind. The temperature was warmer than when I'd gone in earlier and I almost felt too warm in my coat and scarf. Most of the journey was with moderate winds, but a couple of gusts from unexpected directions had me either walking like a mime (getting no where) or blowing across the walkway (when I could see it). Walking through the snow was like walking in sand, always moving under your feet. I reminded myself that was good exercise. The snow stuck to my black coat and ice crystals stuck to my sun glasses (worn more for protection than to deal with sun glare). When I got home, I hung everything up to dry.

The selection today fits the weather somewhat. This is a Canadian group from BC. Enjoy!

Stormy -- by Hedley


No comments:

Post a Comment