Wednesday 29 January 2014

Day 29 -- Jumping to Hyperbole

In the past couple of weeks, I've been reminded of what a friend of mine has termed 'jumping to hyperbole.' Another friend wrote a note on his FB page describing the use of hyperbole in what he called 'catastrophizing'. Yet another person called it 'drama' earlier this week.

These reminders are what we all may require at times. It can be easy when tired, over-worked or overwhelmed to become that 'drama queen' and make something small seem like the world's biggest problem. I have caught myself doing this at times -- making everything all about me <smile>. I may have some level of importance in the system, but I'm just not that important, nor is the issue at hand. <smile> The reminders from others talking about this behaviour in themselves or others, reminds me that I need to stop, breath and re-centre. Looking at things through a different lens could help me to decompress and focus on working with the problem from a positive place rather than that frenetic place I had been inhabiting. It may also help me to help others calm and move into a more constructive place.

That said, hyperbole fits well into a poetic turn of phrase. We can use it to draw attention or make a point. It has a place in writing and speech, and can compliment metaphor well, but overuse to bemoan daily events may not be the best use of hyperbole.

So -- thank you to those who speak to this type of behaviour and remind me to breathe. <smile>

Take it Easy -- The Eagles





No comments:

Post a Comment