Friday 3 January 2014

Day 3 -- winter weather

Today was mainly an indoor day. Blizzard howling outside all day and part of last night. I checked my doors in mid-afternoon and decided that I needed to suit up and clear off the porches so that the doors would actually open tomorrow when the major snow moving begins in earnest. The wind chill was only -21C (-4F) but 30 minutes outside made my fingers cold.

Looking out at the snow is deceiving -- depth perception functions poorly. The amount of snow was far more than it appeared when eye-balling it <smile>. Snow was about 8-10" on porches and stairs, but the drifting had filled in the walkways shovelled out over the past few weeks. So there the snow is over a foot. Now, this was at 3:30 PM. The blowing has continued and snow has continued falling most of the time since then. The benefit of the colder temperatures is that the snow is light and fluffy, so moving it will take time, but be easier than the heavy wet variety that the maritime weather patterns generally provide. 

So -- I guess this was a storm day for me. Working on lecture materials for next week from home and cooking a hearty vegetable beef stew. While I was shovelling and cooking, one line from a song ran through my mind repeatedly. Today's selection is not the version by Lena Horne or Billie Holiday, but one by Etta James. Her style gives a fresh feel to this wonderful classic song. Enjoy!

Stormy Weather -- Etta James

No comments:

Post a Comment