Friday 31 January 2014

Day 31 -- Mid-Winter Blahs?

A number of people I've spoken to this week have sounded less enthusiastic than usual. Granted, the academic term is now 1/3 over, so assignments, grading and exam preparation are in high gear. This generally means more work in the same number of hours. Other work sites are fully back into work mode after the holidays. For many we are moving toward the end of the fiscal year and the accounting and banking industries are filled with RSP and tax season business. Winter weather has taken a large toll -- often eating into the leisure hours of our days with snow shovelling and ice removal. It isn't expected that any groundhog will tell us that there will be an early spring, which adds to the dread as the forecasters predict further bouts of nasty weather. The lack of sunshine and hours of light compound daily life for many at this time of year, too. Unfortunately, this is when viruses are making the rounds, finding it easy to attack systems that are over-worked and over-tired.

This is the time of year that I find the need to do something out of the ordinary. This is difficult when my energy level is just as low as everyone else's. A dinner out with friends, a day spent watching movies, an afternoon window shopping -- can help recharge. Tonight it was a long soak in a bubble bath. Music works for me, too. I have to remind myself sometimes to pause and breathe, relax my shoulders, close my eyes and just listen. I want to use my iPod at work for a single song and a 5-10 minute break with a song that relaxes or one that energizes. That refocusing may help me to feel less frenetic and think more clearly. It certainly will give a moment for me, something that seems to be lacking when working 'for' so many others. I'll let you know how it goes <smile>.

The selection of the day is something to energize -- one that perks me up. So, get up and dance for a minute or two <smile>.  Enjoy!

Out Tonight -- Rent on Broadway


No comments:

Post a Comment