Thursday 9 January 2014

Day 9 -- Urgency

E-mail continued to flood the inbox today -- often with a sense of urgency wrapped up in the message. For some reason on days like this, I may read 'tone' where none was intended, likely as a result of my rising feeling of panic as I try to attend to all the fires that I had noted earlier this week.  The shortcomings of the electronic communications that fill our lives now are many, from the old and slow e-mail to the instant text message. Reliance on these types of messages omits the nuances of interpersonal communication --active listening, body language, inflection, and careful word choice.

So -- while I was calming myself by noting all the inadequacies of email, I heard an '80s band in my head -- really, I did -- constantly repeating the word 'urgent'. That made me smile and help me relax, ready to tackle the inbox with fewer stress hormones flooding my body.  While the original song was about something entirely different than my situation today, I chose it for today's entry simply because of that one word. Enjoy!

Urgent -- Foreigner

No comments:

Post a Comment