Monday 4 July 2016

Day 3 - 186 -- What to eat?

The morning greeted me earlier than usual -- like about sunrise. Waking early tends to be accompanied by hunger or major anxiety. I think this morning was a bit of both. I made a light breakfast and tried to relax. About two hours later, around 7 AM, I thought I should just get up and start the day. That's when I fell back to sleep. I woke again at 9 AM and got ready for work. As I moved around, I thought I was a bit dizzy and tried to determine if it was vertigo, a migraine or something else. By the time I left the house around 10, the dizziness was joined by my good friend nausea. Very odd, though again with vertigo or migraine these two sometimes come together. At lunch I only ate my yogurt. I did some further file clearing since my head wouldn't concentrate on the writing that was planned for the day. Supper was soup and a cheese sandwich. By bedtime, I thought I should eat something else, but really didn't know what I should put into the system -- only knew whatever I chose should be a peacemaker food and nothing that might cause further revolt.

Eating when feeling under the weather can be challenging. We each have our own comfort foods -- those items that generally sit reasonably well. We know this from experience and from what we were fed as kids at times like this. Most food choices are really what in the biz we call 'diet as tolerated'; there is little scientific evidence behind their use for whatever seems to ail us. Continued feeding is important during illness since the body uses energy and nutrients faster when there is a war being waged throughout the body. Yet, this is the time when fewer calories and variety of foods are usually chosen or offered. A friend has studied this and found that much of the foods for illness are based in the four humours and have found their way into modern usage simply as part of the feeding lexicon present for centuries. Her work went back into the 17th and 18th centuries, before biochemistry and physiology of food and illness were understood in any clear way. So -- clear fluids when sick really have no basis in science and we might be better off eating what we feel like eating instead. Now if only that were clear in my mind today <smile>.

The lyrics that I said out loud today are from a song by a female group -- a girl band if you will. The words made me laugh as I was speaking to myself wondering what I should eat. The video seems to be inside an exclusive hotel that I've walked by many times. Enjoy!

Wannabe -- Spice Girls


No comments:

Post a Comment