Sunday 17 July 2016

Day 3 - 199 -- Stuff and Things

With so many projects awaiting attention, it was difficult to get started on anything today. The household inventory update won out since the renewal of insurance coverage falls at the end of the month. The day was spent looking through the spreadsheet files to see what needed removal and what needed to be added. Several items were marked for donation since they've not been used in a while and it was difficult to see them in use in the near future. That physical packing for pick up will have to wait for the vacation days. Until then, I've gotten through most of the files and should have an updated valuation ready in time for the visit to the insurance agent soon.

All this review of items gathered over an adult lifetime made my head spin. There are items that seemed more interesting and useful at a different life stage than they do today. There is nothing wrong with them other than their usefulness to me has passed, even when there may be much life left in the item. Luckily, a regional charity group does pick up from the front porch a couple times a year. If I call, they'll get me on their pick up list and then call me when they have a truck coming through town. I really find it amazing the number of small things that amass -- they don't take up much room, but are fun items often reminding me of friends, family and fun trips. However, there are a number of items that I think I may be able to move to a new home and there will still be adequate memorabilia. I will admit to feeling very odd about having so much 'stuff' -- I don't shop a lot in this little town and generally purchase only things I need and a few I want <smile>. Some things have come from family households over two generations. These are filled with family history so are less likely to be donated. It can be challenging and bring something close to a feeling of shame for owning so much stuff <shaking head>.

A few lines from a song ran through my head as I worked away at this task. It seemed to fit the head space I was in today. Enjoy!

Material Girl -- Madonna


No comments:

Post a Comment