Thursday 7 July 2016

Day 3 - 189 -- Singing at Dawn

The day began far too early again today. I've woken after about 4-5 hours of sleep several times over the past 2-3 weeks. It got old a long time ago. While this early waking occurs every few months or so, this more regular wake cycle is not common. It is often about dawn. So, I wondered if my furry friend was somehow waking me. As it turns out, it is the other way around <smile>.  Was it the light? I've made the room dark, so this shouldn't be the issue. Today I wondered if it was the multitude of songbirds in the yard -- somewhat loudly greeting the day. I've had the windows open over the past while, so their songs are much louder than when the windows are closed. I tend to close the windows if I am up in the night, so the cooler air inside will remain as the air outside heats up after sunrise. I usually don't have trouble getting back to sleep, but this changed recently.

Anxiety or frustration can wake people when the emotions have not been resolved. While one might think these issues have been quelled, they often rise up when we least expect them -- and during sleep seems to be a common time. Adding to the frustration, working through the issues becomes more difficult with inadequate sleep; hence, the viscous cycle is perpetuated. Some anxieties are examined in dreams, though these can turn dark and lead to waking. Sleep disruptions take a lot of effort to counteract. I'm hoping things improve, otherwise I'll have to move a few time zones east and just get up when I wake up <smile>.

Several songs came to mind today, but I settled on one about metaphorical song birds that touches on the power of music to soothe. It seemed to fit this blog well. The songstress is instantly recognizable by many. Enjoy!

Song Bird -- Barbra Streisand


No comments:

Post a Comment