Monday 25 July 2016

Day 3 - 207 -- Witness to an Unexpected Gathering

The day was filled with many positives -- good news in a couple places and an enjoyable shopping trip. An odd thing discovered at home in the late afternoon seemed a bit freaky. I had to find the fly swatter to deal with two of the critters in the hallway and heading to the kitchen. When I entered the bathroom I found a herd of flies between the sliding windows -- on all sides. (Mr. Google tells me I should use cloud or swarm to define a group of flies, but those both sound bigger than what I encountered -- so far.) Trusty fly swatter in hand, I tackled the group -- in short order I'd dispatched another 6 with two more an hour later. There seems to be a way around the sliding windows that is just the perfect size to let the flies pass from outside the screen to inside and then between the two panes of glass and finally into the house itself. I have no idea what caused this convention to occur. I do know that we need to find a way to relocate them and any potential colleagues from any possible planned sessions for tomorrow.

The freaky part was that it seemed very strange that for the first time in 18 years, there was a gathering here. I'll have to head out to the back yard tomorrow to check to see if there is something out there that is inviting to them. In the meantime, it does bring chills and seems like some b-movie horror flick. I dislike using insecticides since they can create transfer of chemicals from the neurotoxins to dishes, food, and other contact surfaces.  Just not in my plans. So, I'll have to try to address the issue with the window leaking these critters into the house.

Oddly, one song stuck in m head. Most of the renditions online are less than listenable, but you will get the idea from this little clip (mercifully short <grin>). It seems to be a folk song that goes back to the US civil war. If you are as unlucky as I feel at present, it will become a nasty earworm in your head, too.  Not sure that sleep will be easy -- with the hateful repeating song lines and possible nightmares. It may be an interesting night. Enjoy!

Shoo Fly, Don't Bother Me -- from Encino Man


No comments:

Post a Comment