Sunday 10 July 2016

Day 3 - 192 -- Cooking up a Storm

The temperature was cool again today, but the rain held off until closer to the end of the Highland Games events this afternoon. There is warmer and more humid weather heading this way, so today was a day when cooking and baking wouldn't create major discomfort by raising the house temperature. I was a bit ambitious, but managed to get a number of things finished so that the microwave can do the heavy lifting as the weather changes. I made a big pot of chicken curry that will be supper tomorrow after the flavours have had time to meld. The rest will go into the deep freeze for other evenings. To serve with this, I made a batch of rice using the mixed rice blend given to me this weekend. It has long and short grain brown rice, wild rice (which is not botanically a rice but a grass <smile>), a red and a black rice. It smelled wonderful when cooking. I had purchased some plums late last week, so made those into a pie filling. This was then turned into 3 large portions with crisp topping and the remainder will be eaten with frozen yogurt. YUM!  For supper I tried the new rice blend and it was tasty.  I topped this with sweet and sour meat balls. Dessert will be strawberry shortcake with balsamic vinegar and black pepper tonight. It was a fruitful afternoon <smile>.

The bounty of summer can be wonderful and allows so much variety in our daily diets. I find the fridge gets rather full with the fresh fruits and vegetables and the various items made from these. Sadly, during the peak of the season, the temperature is very hot and cooking becomes a challenge due to the discomfort it brings. This summer I will try a new appliance -- a countertop induction cooker, to see if that will make hot meals easier in the dog days of summer. In theory this should work since the 'burner' doesn't radiate heat. I'll report on how well my theory is supported as the summer progresses.

A song that came to mind was a bit odd, but it deals with a love of food and the need to eat -- regardless of the weather <smile>. Enjoy!

Maximum Consumption -- The Kinks



No comments:

Post a Comment