Saturday 16 July 2016

Day 3 - 198 -- Repairs Needed

I woke up early this morning and decided that I needed to go back to sleep. About 45 minutes later, I was woken by the phone. The landlord asked to come by to check on the washer and fuse box that have been arguing with each other this past week. He said he'd be here in about 20 minutes. Now I don't need more than 30 minutes to wash, dress and eat something, so when I had time to sweep the floors and bundle the garbage, it was clear he was going to be later than he'd estimated. About an hour after the call, he arrived to change the fuse and figure out which other one might let us check to see if the problem lies with the washer or the fuse box. I've now run four loads on a different duplex outlet with no issue so far. Last time it took about six loads over three days to choose to quit running -- both times with a full tub of water. An electrician will be by next week to look at the two items and make a repair plan. The landlord also called a plumber to check with the sewer issue which seemed to have backed up into the basement toilet -- not pretty but much less of an issue than in the past year. They checked and everything seems clear further down the line (we share with two public buildings and a small apartment building -- just one of the joys of living in an older part of town that has allowed subdivision where infrastructure won't support the growth. <smile>.

I find it interesting that things seem to break or act oddly in groups -- that 'it never rains but it pours' idiom. To add to the situation today, it was mega-hot and humid again outside and the inside had never cooled from yesterday. At least the basement was the coolest part of the house. Doing laundry allowed me to cool a bit each time I had to change a load or fold things from the dryer. That was pleasant. I don't fully understand electrical wiring and really don't care to deal with the fuse box -- a breaker box yes, but fuses not so much. I did learn a few things about how to manage it and I've been left some fuses should things act up again.

As I was folding laundry a mangled lyric ran through my head and made me laugh. I thought it was an original idea, but when I searched it, lo and behold, it had been written in this fashion -- handyman to the tune of Candyman (sung by Sammy Davis, Jr. eons ago). This one seems not to be recorded, though. That made me check a well known parody writer and there I found another performance that fits the days events. This one did make me giggle. Enjoy!

Handy -- 'Weird Al' Yankovic




No comments:

Post a Comment