Saturday 11 January 2020

Day 7 - 10 -- All Fall Down

The day began early with a guest lecture in a class dealing with agism, which was followed by an interesting seminar that explained the dissertation research of the two new tenure stream faculty members. In the afternoon, I had a productive meeting to review the writing project that should be ready to submit in a couple of weeks. Things are looking very good there. <smile>.

After supper I headed out for tea with a friend. A block and a half from the house, I fell -- face-planted on the pavement. I walked back to the house and called my friend to come over. Major road rash on and under the chin along with a bit of bruise beginning. Another bruised area on the left knee appeared by later evening.Three incisors are affected -- one two-thirds broken off, one pushed slightly inwards and behind the third. The last two were majorly chipped. My right arm was hurting badly, too. I must have tried to break my fall. We headed to emerg on Friday night -- a real happening place. The chairs were fairly full with 6 or 7 people ahead of me. Four hours later we were called in to see MD since the X-ray tech would be heading home in 20 minutes at midnight. He check all of the skull and jaw as well as the arm and said we needed pictures of the arm. Off we went to x-ray, after which we were asked to sit back in chairs. Over an hour later my friend walked outside to see if there were ambulances in the bay. There were two, which explained the delay in getting results of pictures. We were seen later. Radial head does not appear broken or cracked, but will be very sore for some time. MD noted that they don't have dental people on call, so I'd have to call my dentist to see when they could see me. Remember, this is Friday night so no offices will be open until Monday morning. Because the one incisor was pushed back, the lower jaw cannot close so I can't chew with molars as they can't meet to grind food. <bigger sigh>. Looks like the dreaded 'blended up a straw' diet I had to provide in hospital foodservice years ago. Six hours after arriving, we left for home -- 2 AM.

The song for today just seemed to fit the absurdity of the situation AND it made me laugh. <smile> Enjoy!

Baby Take Your Teeth Out -- Frank Zappa




No comments:

Post a Comment